*start*
01079 00024 US
Date: 6 Oct 1980 11:27 PDT
From: Knutsen at PARC-MAXC
Subject: A Good Mexican Restaurant
To: "@[Maxc]<Cheng>Eaters.dl"
cc: Knutsen

If you find yourself returning to the South Bay from Berkeley some evening,
stop off in Hayward at  => La Imperial <= and have some GOOD MEXICAN
FOOD!

Finally, I have found a good, West-Los-Angeles-style Mexican restaurant.  The
basic flavor of the place is lots of good Mexican foor for cheap.  The key item is
a *giant* burrito, about 4" by 9", chock full of rice, beans, meat, . . .  and only
$2.25.  The atmosphere is kind of fun, too.  Although the dining room is
basically a bare room, the waiters do a lot of clowning around, leading the crowd
in songs, etc.  We were sufficiently impressed to buy a dozen tamales ($7.00) to
bring home.

To get there, get off highway 17 in Hayward at A Street ("downtown").  Go east
about a mile until it starts getting downtownish;  Jog right, over to C street;  and
continue east a few more blocks to approximately 960 C Street.  They were open
past 9PM on Sunday night.

	Dale

*start*
00937 00024 US
Date: 14 Oct 1980 15:46 PDT
From: Landman at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: good restaurants on the way to/from the mountains
To: Weyer
cc: "@[maxc]<cheng>eaters.dl", "@[maxc]<crowther>Climbing.dl"

In Oakdale there are two mexican restaurants.  One is on the main drag on your
right just before you make the left turn toward Yosemite, and is only so-so.  The
other, Romero's, is one block behind that (i.e. on the next street over parallel to
the main drag.  They have the best Chimichangas I have ever tasted; crisp,
tasty, and smothered in guacamole and sour cream.  I've eaten there three times
now and the quality has never let down.  The Chimichangas come in two sizes
(large and huge), and two flavors (chicken and beef, I think); the prices are
around $3.50 and $4.50 for the two sizes.  They also featue a reasonable selection
of mexican beers ...

	Howard

*start*
01203 00024 US
Date: 8 Oct. 1980 3:06 pm PDT (Wednesday)
From: Horning.PA
Subject: The Best Chocolate Mousse
To: Junk↑

The following recipe is given by Passell and Ross in "The Best Book,"
Pocket Books, 1975:

The Best Chocolate Mousse

     SUSAN PREVIANT LEE'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:

	6 tablespoons strong coffee
	4 tablespoons cognac
	8 ounces semisweet chocolate
	1/4 cup superfine sugar

	2 cups heavy cream
	1 tablespoon superfine sugar
	1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Pour coffee and cognac into a double boiler.  Add chocolate and heat.
After chocolate is melted, stir until the mixture is well blended.
Add sugar, and continue stirring over heat until mixture is glossy.
Let mixture cool.

Make creme chantilly by whipping heavy cream until very thick.
Beat sugar and vanilla into cream.  With a rubber spatula, slowly and
thoroughly blend chocolate mixture into cream.

Cover and refrigerate.  SERVES SIX.

WARNING:
After sampling this, ordinary chocolate mousse will seem like Royal pudding!

[If you don't like Chocolate Mousse, what are you doing on Junk↑?]